07 February 2008

Romney: American Voters Are Surrendering in the War on Terror

Mitt Romney's a real piece of work. Here he is on Feb. 7, 2008, explaining why he's dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination.
"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror." (AP)
Yes, if we citizens elect Clinton or Obama to the presidency, we've surrendered to the terrorists!

Let me put this as clearly as I can: Fuck you, Mitt. I not only prefer McCain to you, I prefer both Clinton and Obama to you, because not one of them has tried to hold me psychologically hostage by telling me a vote for their opponent is a vote for terrorists.

There are few things lower than accusing your political opponents of being the disloyal opposition. Samuel Johnson must have been thinking of the Mitt Romneys of his day when he said, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And then there were three ...

Personally my preference at this point would be Obama > McCain > Clinton. Congress vote would be opposite party to the presidential vote.

It seems that democrat presidents and republican congresses work out pretty well.


It'll be interesting to see how Obama vs. Clinton plays out.

Anonymous said...

James k, you're a New Zealander, is that correct? Maybe the rational thing for me to do is to sell my vote to someone who cares but doesn't have a voice. :)

Actually, given the importance of the U.S. president, it's not inaccurate to say that you're part of the affected constituency.

Anonymous said...

I am a New Zealander yes. And while the thought of voting in your election appeals, there is too little between your remaining candidates to make a purchased vote worth my while ;)

As far as the president affecting me goes, there are two factors:

1) how militarily aggressive they are, I don't have a car myself, but I still buy things that get flown over here and more war mans more cost. From the three frontrunners I favour Obama on this point.

2) Are they a free-trader? I would really like an FTA between our countries (agriculture must be included, else there is little point). McCain looks like the best here, but I'm not confident on any of them (they need congress to approve after all).